As you all know, last year I did my business in the woods. This year I am building a small bathroom addition to Tiny House Ontario. Initially, when planning the build I had intended on putting this on the East side of the house. Then I changed my mind and decided to put it on the North, but I am back to wanting it on the East again because I already have a small exit in the tiny house (an old window) which will be removed and become a very small door, to a very small bathroom with a composting toilet and running (rain water) sink and shower.
The Sparett unit, Privy 500 came in. I am happy that it came in so quickly. I like the separation unit idea because I believe that urine creates a lot of STINK. I really do not want stink.
I was super easy to do! Took about a 45 minutes start to finish and that included finding the tools and getting photos. The template came on the box the unit are the three articles in the front, these cost $157.06 (including shipping). The 1970’s end table was $7 at a thrift shop, tax included and the bucket was $8. Total $172.06. I also required to use my jig saw to cut the hole.
I marked the template and cut the hole. Perfect fit! I also cut the surface overhang off the back so that I can put this against the wall to vent it out.
With that done, I put the four screws in place and attached the Privy 500 to the end table. I attached the urine hose to the Privy 500 and drilled an exit hole in the bottom of the cabinet because I will have this drain outside into a filtering bed. The hose is ridged only on the outside. I worried about this before it arrived because a smooth surface will make for a cleaner surface, right?
So far I am not sure what I think of the unit. I like the idea and keep in mind that I have not used this yet; but if I was designing it I would make a few changes already just looking at it. Sigh. The problems that I see are that the separation section in the middle does not come up very high. This is a problem for two reasons. First the urine can get into the collection bucket. But the bigger problem is that the bucket cannot go up to meet the plastic where the back drops down. I would also have dropped the back (interior) down farther too, so that it goes fully into the bucket.
See? There is a gap, if these two things were ironed out, then theoretically a person could put a top on the bucket, put a hole in there and the blue plastic privy 500 could be enclosed right inside the bucket. The bucket could then be lifted right up tight to the unit so that no air or dirt leakage is possible inside of my 1970’s reused end table. Further, a VENT could be then put into the bucket lid and let out behind the unit. There is LOTS of room for a vent and lots of room for improvement on this unit too.
The “insulated seat” that is included is nothing but a piece of styrofoam with a lid. Cheapo! The toilet seat version is not available in Canada but as the fellow told me on the phone it can be changed up to a regular toilet seat. I am not sure really what to do yet. I will know better after I use it a bit.
So here is what it looks like right now. I think I will add a toilet roll holder to one side and a container to hold my coconut fibre. Still not sure what colour to paint it. Possibly just plain old white.
No matter, it will be GREAT to not have to venture out to the woods in the dark!
Just cut a little bit out of the bucket and put the bucket on the board that was cut out for the Privy 500. Made the fit a little tighter but did not resolve any of the issues above.